Wednesday, May 16, 2012

El Nutri-Taco

El Nutri Taco
El Nutri-Taco is a nondescript food cart at SE 84th and Woodstock. Yes, the one that's parked in someone's front yard. They can also be found on Alberta at 21st. They offer your standard Mexican fare, along with a lengthy and creative veggie/vegan menu. You can visit their rather humorous website to view the menus, and to scoff at the stock photos of Mexican food and happy people.

 

 

 Flamin' Burrito


Why do I subject myself to such gastrointestinal strife? The Flamin' Burrito... I mean, what did I expect? Why am I drawn to such foreboding menu items? Well, good people, I do it out of curiosity, desire, and most importantly, an eternal love for burritos. Oh yeah, and let's not forget stupidity.

El Nutri TacoContents: tofu, beans, rice, cheese, pico, lettuce, grilled onions, sour cream, red hot sauce

Price: $6.00

Length: 6.5"

Circumference: 8.75"

Sides: red, green, and avocado sauce 


 I know what you're thinking: "Tofu? In a burrito? WTF! Blasphemy! I'm never going to read this blog again!" Settle down people, settle down. I am open to (almost) all burritos. My first tofu burrito experience, at Dos Gringos in Colorado, changed my life. This is Portland after all, so it's really not that strange. Anyway, on with the review!

The first couple of bites were actually rather bland. No fiery spices tickling my tastebuds at all! As I progressed, however, the heat came on. It was subtle at first, but then it kicked me right in the gullet! I was hungry, and wanted to cram it in my mouth faster, but I had to pace myself. By the last bite, my sinuses were nicely cleared. Apart from the heat, the ingredients were rather boring. A better balance between heat and general flavor was needed. The texture was engaging, with chewy tofu, crisp lettuce, chunky tomatoes, and creamy beans, but something was just... missing.

 

Rating


2 outta 5 stars

To speak straight from my gut, in the end, this burrito wasn't worth the trouble.

Will I go here again? Maybe if I'm ever stranded on 82nd St and can't find a Chinese restaurant.



No comments:

Post a Comment